REVIEW: Sabrina Ghayour's Sirocco

Sabrina Ghayour is a self-taught Persian chef. I find her recipes bright, full of flavour, and fun to create. Here's my review of her cookbook Sirocco: Fabulous Flavours from the East, exclusively for On The Sliding Scales.

I made Sabrina's Butternut Rostis

Featuring flavours as bright as the front cover, Sabrina's second cookbook Sirocco brings delightful tastes of the East to Western-style dishes. With an emphasis on simple ingredients - many of them my favourites like sweet potato and eggs, there's a modern touch to an impressive range of dishes.

If you're after a tasty potato-based side dish, a fresh salad, or a spicy meat main, you'll find all of these and more with the extra zing that Sabrina adds.

My Sirocco favourites so far

The first dish I tried in my own kitchen was butternut rostis (pictured above). Super easy to make with wonderful spicy tones, I paired them with chicken breasts - but I just know they'd be incredible eaten simply with a poached egg as a crowning glory.

I made Sabrina's Sweet Potatoes with Baked Feta

I also created the sweet potatoes with baked feta. Another easy dish bursting with flavour! The earthy sweet potatoes go so well with the creamy cheese dolloped on top. It was that good, I ate the whole thing for lunch.

Chloƫ Velounias, professional cook and regular contributor, commented on Sabrina's book Sirocco in a previous post for On The Sliding Scales. She recommends Sabrina's recipe for Parsee duck egg scramble.

"I love eggs and they are full of nutrients. Sabrina adds cumin, chilli, garlic, all of which are delicious. I usually skip the butter when I make scrambled eggs, but this recipe encourages you to add some extra heat and flavour. I now always add herbs and spices to mine!" She said.

Though not marketed as a cookbook for healthy eating, I find Sabrina's recipes often hinge on fresh vegetables and various spices so it easily qualifies under that label for me. If particular dishes aren't ideal for my preference at the time, I often make easy swaps - like wholemeal torillas rather than flour ones.

One such example is one of my Sirocco favourites! It's called Butternut, Sage & Tulum Pan Toasties. When I make these, I switch in wholemeal tortillas and - just like Sabrina recommends - I pick feta as my cheese of choice. Often because it's usually in my fridge! These pan toaties are shockingly delectable when you consider how easy they are to create.

Butternut, Sage & Tulum Pan Toasties

I wholeheartedly recommend Sabrina Ghayour's Sirocco. Flavours that pop, ingredients that shine, and tastes that you will want to try over and over again.

See more recipes and reviews over on Instagram @SVMullins

Comments