REVIEW: Jamie Oliver's Everyday Superfoods

Jamie Oliver is a God of healthy eating in a way that's sustainable, enjoyable and understandable. His book Everyday Superfoods is our bible.

Healthy eating can seem super complicated. You feel like you should eat a diet of chia seeds and avocado to be healthy - but Jamie's Everyday Superfoods shows that's not the case.

Jamie Oliver's Happiness Pasta from Everyday Superfoods
"My wish is that this book will inspire and empower you to live the healthiest, happiest, most productive life you can." - Jamie Oliver
It's about balanced, well-rounded meals. The introduction to this book talks about how we think about food, encouraging us to take in new ideas. Jamie has brought together 30 years of cooking and nutritional expertise from all over the world to create satisfying, affordable dishes that are verifiably nourishing. In this book, any choice is a good choice.

Jamie himself says that this is the most personal book he's ever written. I can understand why. He genuinely cares that people look after their bodies. My copy of Everyday Superfoods was a gift from my boyfriend - for these two men and many reasons more, I'll try to treat my body right. These recipes are a great help on this mission.

Great recipes from Everyday Superfoods

I've tried a good number of the recipes from Everyday Superfoods. A lot of these were pasta dishes. I wanted to learn how to make a meal that's traditionally indulgent, carbohydrate-heavy and often full of calories in a much healthier way. I found the nutritional information, which includes calories and is on every recipe, especially helpful.

I'd recommend Happiness Pasta - I love a tomato-based sauce and pine nuts so this was a real hit with me - and Jamie's Skinny Carbonara. A fresh and nutritious twist on the classic pasta dish.

I also really enjoyed making, and eating, Asian crispy beef with brown rice noodles. It's quick to cook up, full of flavour, and leaves you satisfied.
Asian crispy beef
Chef and friend, Chloë Velounias, baked Jamie's sweet potato muffins which were wonderfully moist with a soft, pleasant texture and taste. If you'd like to know more about healthy baking, see her blog here.

Jamie's superfood cookbook is, quite frankly, brilliant. Already a celebrity chef, he's helped bring healthy, conscientious eating into our daily lives. I applaud this, and continue to whip up his tasty, wholesome dishes.

Let's raise a smoothie, and cheers to Jamie!

Have you tried any recipes from Everyday Superfoods? Let me know! Tweet me @SVMullins or comment below

Comments