Why Do People Always Take Pictures Of Food?

I am still surprised at some people's annoyance over the simple act of photographing food. Here's why we do it -

Some of my meals
Firstly, this is the Instagram generation. We love to take photos and share them with other people, what we're doing and where we are is important. 

We're creating visual diaries and memory snapshots. Don't criticise us for sharing - maybe we have aunties that live far away and love to see what we're up to, maybe we want to inspire others with our meals, or show off our kitchen creations. Maybe we're giving our friends some ideas about restaurants to visit, or recording a chef's creation that we want to try to make ourselves.

Perhaps we are taking photos to track our eating. A lot of us do it when we are dieting, it certainly helps me appreciate what I've eaten. It helps keep me on target too, thinking that I'll be able to share the lovely, nourishing meals with other people.

There's a whole crowd of Slimming World beauties over on Instagram that do it. I follow Jennifer Ginley, National Miss Slinky 2017, who halved her body weight in just over one year with Slimming World. Her Instagram @slimming_world_jsg is wonderfully inspiring.

So, before anyone judges another person for snapping their brunch, that picture might just inspire someone to eat a little bit healthier. Is that such a bad thing?

A post shared by Stephanie Mullins (@svmullins) on

I want to see your food photos! Tweet me @SVMullins or contact me on Instagram @SVMullins

Comments