WE TRIED IT: Hula-Hooping Class

Reconnecting with childhood fun, three ladies from On The Sliding Scales gave hula-hooping a go. Swinging those hips to carnival music, was this funky exercise class any good?

Myself, Emma and Lisa with hoops
It certainly was. Upbeat music and a lot of giggles made a good hour speed by.

"Doing a hula-hopping class was a great way to exercise as it is a unique activity that really puts you outside of your comfort zone. I haven't picked up a hula-hoop since my childhood and really thought I wouldn't get the hang of it, but 15 minutes in, I have five hoops spinning round me dancing to carnival music," said Emma. "I would definitely be interested in joining a class, using weighted hoops and perfecting my hip wiggle!

"It was great fun, and really worked your waistline and worked up a sweat! Not only that, but I burnt a heap loads of calories giggling at all my failed attempts, and trying to hula hoop round my neck! We also got a good Instagram snap haul too! Definitely worth a try."

We swung our hips over in Shoreditch at a Hoop Tone class the first time that we gave hula-hooping a go. I think it really would give us abs like diamonds if we were regulars!

#WindYoWaist

"I thought the hula-hooping class was so much fun," said Lisa. "I wasn't sure what to expect when I booked it but thought it'd be an interesting thing to do - that and you don't really hear about people doing it as a form of exercise so I thought, let's see what it's all about!"

She's sold on taking it up as a regular because it's so easy to do.

"All you need is a hoop and a room and you're good to go. Put on some tunes and get twirling!

"I would definitely recommend it to others. It doesn't feel like exercise because of how fun and fast it is. You come out of the class sweating so I think you burn a lot of calories. Also, it's not all about training your core. You can twirl on your arms, legs and even your neck," she laughs. "Everyone should try hula-hooping at least once, it's brilliant."

Our verdict? DO IT. Get those hoops swinging!

You can follow our adventures on Instagram @SVMullins
Got something you want us to try? Comment below or tweet @SVMullins 

Comments