WE TRIED IT: Trampolining

Think trampolining is just for kids? Think again! Here at On The Sliding Scales we're busting our bounce out and trying out trampolines as a way to keep fit!

Me (left) and Emma (right) bouncing

I've experienced bounding around a trampoline park in an open session. It's great fun and gets your heart pumping, but these sessions are often overrun by children. Natalie Bishop, a regular contributor on On The Sliding Scales, tried a class instead and loved it.

"I find motivating myself to go to the gym really hard because, let’s face it, exercising can be boring!" She said. "Finding a trampolining class was a revelation for me – it’s engaging, social and the time passes so quickly. I feel far better after an hour trampolining class than an hour of being in the gym, so it’s a winner for me!"

Emma bouncing at AirHop
While Natalie can't recommend trampolining classes enough, contributors Emma Clark and Lisa Herring both enjoyed the open sessions that they tried out. And it looks like the drawbacks that they highlighted would be solved by planned classes.

Emma said: "Trampolining is great fun. It's really energetic and an exciting way to exercise. Both times I've been have been with a group of friends, and we have all had so much fun. It's amazing how tiring it is and how much of a work out it is for the legs! An hour is more than enough!

"But if I was to consider trampolining as a regular exercise I think I would find a class rather than a freerun session so I could learn some tricks and skills with a coach."

Lisa agreed. "I've been trampolining a number of times and have enjoyed every session," she said.

"You're jumping up and down, running around and all with a big smile on your face. It's like being a kid again. You totally forget you're burning calories and doing exercise, until the hour is up and you're sweaty and exhausted. I'm not sure whether I would do it regularly if I could, maybe if it was just adults I'd consider it as in the normal sessions it's kids running around and you're always worried you'll crash into one!"

So our conclusion is go for an open session if you fancy giving it a go and don't mind a few kids bouncing around you, but if you're serious about trampolining regularly, find a class or a coach.

Have you tried trampolining? Let us know in the comments below!

See what else we get up to over on my Instagram @SVMullins

Comments