WE TRIED IT: Hot Yoga

The calming, stretching practice of yoga in a heated room sounds nice, but I think it could be an acquired taste. Perhaps it's the marmite of exercise activities! 

Regular contributor Emma Clark and I tried hot yoga exclusively for On The Sliding Scales.

Chilling in the hot yoga studio
As we headed towards Feel Hot Yoga in Watford, I wasn't quite sure what to expect for my first ever session. I genuinely feared horrendous amounts of sweat and yoga moves far beyond my own abilities, especially at hot temperatures.

But I didn't need to worry. The room is heated slowly, so you get used to the heat. It's really rather pleasant. I sweated, yes, but not a disgusting amount. The yoga moves themselves were manageable too, with the class leader introducing different stages for various ability levels.

Emma was quite apprehensive about doing hot yoga at first too.

She said: "The idea of getting sweaty in a room full of strangers had put me off trying it before, however the class was actually really good.

"Hot yoga is hot, but not uncomfortably so, and you could feel your body working harder as the heat rose. Our class had a slow flow and having the class to music really helped me relax and release after a busy week, plus I didn't get foot cramp like I usually do in the cold studios! I really ached the following morning, so it must have worked my muscles harder than I thought! Saying this, I'm not sure if I would do hot yoga again as I didn't see any benefit over normal yoga, especially when the classes tend to come at a higher cost."

I agree. Personally, I think it's great to have a go and experience hot yoga, but I wouldn't do it regularly. Partly because I think the novelty would wear off, and partly because a hot yoga studio simply hasn't been set up in my hometown yet.

We want to know what you think! Tweet me @SVMullins 

Comments